Thursday, January 15, 2009

Reflux Update

So we went to the doctor again this week. I had called to ask a question about the thrush meds because I thought they were upsetting Joseph's already sensitive tummy, but when I described some of the symptoms I was seeing the doc recommended that I take him in. They were able to see him the same day which was nice. The doc asked if there was any way I could bring in a video of what I was seeing. Thanks to my super handy Christmas present, I was able to do just that.

Based on the video and some other info I gave her, the doc said she believes that the current tummy issues are also reflux related. We decided it's time for a med change (Zantac to Prilosec). Also, the doctor ordered a swallow study (we won't know when that will be until we get approval for it from the insurance). I am collecting stool samples (not so quick a process when the kid never poops) so they can check for blood which would be a sign that Joseph is allergic to the soy we are giving him in place of milk-based formula which we already determined he has a sensitivity to.

I can't tell yet if the med change has made a difference. I really do hope this one works, but I will tell you it's a HUGE pain in the ass to get my hands on. Since Prilosec is not made for babies, we have to get it from a compounding pharmacy where they crush up the pills and dissolve them in a liquid. Who knew?

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Good lord Jess, I'm so sorry that Jaeby, you and Sal are going through all of this! I hope this all gets figured out quickly!
<3