Monday, January 12, 2009

Getting Crafty

A while back, I promised to start posting pictures of my craft projects. Between getting ready for the baby and trying to figure out life with a newborn, my time for crafts (and posting about them) has been limited. I decided I better get caught up, though, because I have several projects in the works.

I made this blanket at the request of some friends - I've been working on it since Memorial Day. They have a son a couple of weeks older than Jaeby. I still haven't figured out if the blanket is for the baby or his dad.

Anyway, this is counted cross stitch on a crocheted background with a crochet border. The main part of the blanket is really just single crochets, so it was super easy. The cross stitch on the crochet "fabric" was a little tricky to figure out at first, but once I got the hang of it, it was just like normal counted cross stitch.

I added this piece of flannel to the back (folded under and zig-zagged with clear acrylic thread) because I could not deal with the ugly, back side of cross stitch look. It wasn't part of the pattern - I guess this doesn't bother other people?


I made this scarf super skinny, super long as a Christmas present for a friend. I love, love, love scarves, but there really isn't much need for them here in sunny SoCal. I tried to capture the detail of the shell pattern in the pic below, but it's a little hard to see because I used such chunky yarn. Eh, I prefer cool yarn to intricate patterns anyday.


I hung the scarf on the back of my front door to try and show just how long this thing really is. Hopefully the length is as good in practice as it is in theory.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

that stuff is so cool. I love the blanket. I also like your blog. Fun way to keep in touch :)